Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Monday, May 23, 2011

May Card Show Pickups: The Players Club

If you have yet to vote in my poll, please do so! Your opinion counts!

Continuing with the awesome stack of fun I picked up on Friday, here are some cards I'm putting towards my future players collection. I've been working on creating the parameters for the collection, and I already have a small stack to go towards it. Some of the players to be involved include:
 The Big Hurt. Look at that beautiful find - a 1990 Topps Frank Thomas RC NOF. Gotta put the NOF notification, because it sounds more important, like the infinitely more valuable NNOF.
 Cal Ripken. I wasn't going to put him in the collection originally, and he may not stay. I'm on the fence about Ripken. Yes, he was a great ballplayer, and was inducted to the Hall of Fame the same year my favorite hitter was, but I never really got into Ripkenmania like everyone else did.
 The next Mr. Cub. If you believe the rumors. I like him not because of the numbers he puts out, but because of his work ethic.
 The greatest base stealer of all time, in the right uniform. I saw him play when he was with the A's, and I was there earlier this year on Rickey Henderson Bobblehead Day when he threw out the first pitch. I think he may be the town favorite.
Last, a trio of cards from my favorite pitcher of all time. Before Gwynn, before Frank and Griffey Jr, I looked at Nolan Ryan as a favorite ballplayer. It can't hurt that his last name is the same as my first name. The unfortunate thing about Nolan is that I probably already have all these cards either with me or in a box back in Georgia. Grr. I really need to get my stuff back!

2 comments:

  1. So, you have a Henderson Bobble head? What would it take to get that from you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah. You'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands! Unbelievable - you should have seen the line to get them. If you keep your eyes on eBay some fool may list theirs cheap.

    ReplyDelete