Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Friday, August 5, 2011

Gallery of Fine Art

I thought I would show off a group of recent pickups from the three "art" sets released so far (am I forgetting any). I believe this is it for the year as far as "painted" sets go, because everything left I know about is shiny (Chrome, Finest, Marquee), Lineage or Update.
 Allen & Ginter: perhaps we're sick of this already. With Gint-a-Cuffs nearing its end, post after post of pack after pack will go away, and Ginter will be forgotten until the next sell sheet arrives. I could have done without the border around the card, but the rest of the design is nice.
 The red-headed bastard stepchild of Ginter is Goodwin Champions. (I like red heads. I just recently discovered that.) With more of an all-sport (and non-sport) feel than Ginter, the set art looks better, with actual backgrounds behind several subjects. The use of random photos outside of the person's area of expertise can be a turn-off, though, and some people look downright creepy. What's up with Nastia's eyebrows?
The distant cousin to Allen & Ginter, Gypsy Queen hit it big this year because of a perfect formula with just the right amount of rarity. Should GQ return next year, I'm afraid Topps will butcher the formula and kill the interest. By the way, I'm still trying to finish the Gypsy Queen insert set (seen above), but I'm also working on the other insert sets too. I need a couple cards from each of the sets. A couple are "pending" because of hopeful acquisitions.

All we need now is a more modern art set. Bring back Topps Gallery!

No comments:

Post a Comment