Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Sunday, January 26, 2014

One Little Corner: 2013 Allen & Ginter Set Gallery

 Twinkle, twinkle, little star, How I wonder what you are...
Goodwin Champion's Wonders of the Universe wasn't the only space-based insert set found in baseball card products last year. Ginter had its own celestial set, called One Little Corner. The cards have more to the design and use art (or, art-styled photos) instead of photos (or, photo-realistic art). At first glance, these look much better. However, the soft, somewhat grainy images used on these cards aren't as attractive as the images found on Wonders. With the exception of the last card, Centaur (my favorite), Corner's images seem flat, especially when they're mostly planets and not enough detail is found in the picture to give them depth. Wonders takes advantage of shadows and texture to really make the planets and galaxies feel three-dimensional; Wonders also seems to use a greater depth of color. Both sets are great, but I have to give Wonders of the Universe the win. What do you think?




















2 comments:

  1. I think there's room for both. Goodwin's are more realistic, Ginters are more arty and dreamlike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Ginter has more dreamy mystical images, but Ginter just feels so flat. I still like both! Thanks for your opinion.

    ReplyDelete