Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Just Commons Part 6: History All Over Again

 Are you ready for another history lesson? Continuing my obsession of collecting baseball cards without any baseball on them, here are some Historical Moments cards from Upper Deck's 2009 A Piece of History set.
 There are 50 cards in this subset, numbered as part of the base set. The history mostly spans the past 100 or so years.
 I think this is the first nighttime picture I've seen of the Hollywood sign as Hollywoodland.
 I've biked across the Golden Gate Bridge.
 The first inhaled anesthetic used was by Dr. Long, who has both a museum and hospital devoted to his name and his work in Georgia. Dr. Morton, of Boston, was the first to publicly demonstrate inhaled anesthetics.
 I haven't seen Mount Rushmore yet. I'm not sure if or when I ever will.
 I guess the last time the Cubs won the World Series, over 100 years ago, is a historical moment. The last Chicago Cubs World Series trophy is an antique, after all.
 I have finally finished this set after four years of building it; I also finished my never-really-started 2008 Topps Heritage News Flashbacks set in one go.
 These cards all look at 1959, and the design borrows from the 1959 Topps set.

 How cool would it have been to have shown Castro in a baseball uniform instead?
 Hawaii. There's a lot I'd like to see in the world, and Hawaii is on that list. But despite its natural beauty, the 50th State is quite low on my list.
The penguin says hello. I'm saying goodbye. I'm quite glad to have these two sets finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment